Professional Standards and Principled Policing Bureau
Deputy Chief Michael Connolly
The San Francisco Police Department Professional Standards and Principled Policing Bureau was established in February, 2016 to oversee proposed use of force reforms, as well as to coordinate efforts of the Police Department with the United States Department of Justice Collaborative Reform Initiative.
Please read our detailed responses on:
- SFPD Response to Civil Grand Jury Report on Crime Lab
- SFPD Response to Civil Grand Jury Report on Auto Burglary
- SFPD reform timeline
- 05/04/16 presentation to Police Commission
- 06/01/16 presentation to Police Commission
- 08/10/16 presentation to Police Commission
- 09/14/16 presentation to Police Commission
- 10/12/16 presentation to Police Commission
- Mayor Lee's statement on the release of the U.S. DOJ collaborative review regarding the SFPD
- Interim Chief Chaplin's letter to the members of the SFPD regarding the release of the U.S. DOJ collaborative review
- 11/15/16 update at Joint Board of Supervisors and Police Commission Special Meeting
- 11/15/2016 SFPD Integrated Numerical Index
- 03/10/17 2016 DOJ/COPS Collaborative Reform Initiative SFPD Recommendations Status Charts
- 03/10/17 SFPD Project Management Matrix
The work of the Bureau is part of an overall effort to increase transparency and accountability in order to better serve citizens of the City of San Francisco. Units assigned under the Bureau include:
Collaborative Reform Initiative for Technical Assistance
CRI-TA is a proactive, non-adversarial, and cost effective form of technical assistance for agencies with significant law enforcement related issues. “The CRI-TA's purpose is to improve trust between police agencies and the communities they serve by providing long-term, holistic strategy that identifies issues within an agency that may affect public trust. The CRI-TA offers recommendations based on a comprehensiveagency assessment for how to resolve those issues and enhance the relationship between the police and the community.”
Learn more about Collaborative Reform Initiative for Technical Assistance here: www.cops.usdoj.gov/technicalassistance
The mission of the Professional Standards Unit is to contribute to excellence in law enforcement by increasing professionalism and maintaining high levels of accountability within the San Francisco Police Department through the use of early intervention tracking and related auditing systems.
Written Directives, is responsible for facilitating the review, development, and publication of Department policies, manuals, and forms.