Notes Used During Presentation at the June 14th, 2018 Town Hall to Address the June 9th, 2018 Officer Involved Shooting 18-077(a)
June 9, 2018 at approximately 0017 hrs.
- Two uniformed officers from Central Station were on patrol in a marked police vehicle.
- The officers observed four individuals standing at the corner of Grant Avenue and Vallejo Street and the officers decided to contact the group of four individuals for an open alcohol container in public violation.
- One officer made contact with the group of four individuals and engaged in a dialogue about the open alcohol container while his partner parked their vehicle.
- After a brief dialogue between the officer and the four individuals, one of the four, later determined to be twenty-eight year old San Francisco resident Oliver Barcenas began to flee on foot on Grant Avenue towards Green Street.
- The officer pursued Mr. Barcenas on foot and during the pursuit Mr. Barcenas removed and discarded the jacket he was wearing and drew a firearm from his waist.
- After Mr. Barcenas drew a firearm from his waist, the pursuing officer discharged his firearm at Barcenas striking him.
- Mr. Barcenas fell to the ground.
- The officer called for medical aid for Mr. Barcenas who was then transported to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital for treatment.
- Mr. Barcenas was taken into custody.
- Preliminary evidence indicates that the officer fired two rounds at Mr. Barcenas.
- The hospital is not providing information as to how many times Mr. Barcenas was struck but the video appears to show that Mr. Barcenas was struck in the back. He remains at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital being treated for his injury.
- A firearm was located at the scene and is pictured here today. The firearm is a Glock 45 caliber which was equipped with a laser sight and contained twenty six rounds.
- The involved officer’s Body Worn Camera was activated and captured the shooting.
- The officer’s partner, who did not witness the shooting, had his Body Worn Camera activated.
- We have located two videos from private businesses that capture the incident.
- There were multiple witnesses to the incident that were identified and interviewed.
- Both the involved officer and his partner have been interviewed.
- Mr. Barcenas was arrested and charged with delaying an officer, carrying a concealed firearm, exhibiting a firearm, and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.
- The name of the involved officer will be released consistent with SFPD policy.
- Independent Investigations Bureau of the District Attorney’s Office and the Department of Police Accountability are conducting independent investigations.
- SFPD’s homicide unit is conducting the criminal investigation. SFPD’s Internal Affairs unit is conducting the administrative investigation.
BWC #1 - https://vimeo.com/275146772
BWC #2 - https://vimeo.com/275146827
Surveillance Camera #1 - https://vimeo.com/275146855
Surveillance Camera #2 - https://vimeo.com/275146878