This test will evaluate the applicant's interpersonal skills, problem solving, and oral communication abilities not tested by other examination components.
Candidates who pass the written examination will be placed on the eligible list based on their written examination score. The oral interview and physical ability components will be administered solely on a pass/fail basis.
The oral examination will test:
- Communication Skills
- Problem Solving Ability
- Interpersonal Skills
Questions and rating dimensions are derived according to POST guidelines.
How the oral examination is organized:
- Report to the examination site, show photo identification and register
- You will be escorted to your interview room.
- You will have five minutes to review the oral interview questions before meeting with the panel.
- After all candidates in your track have finished the interview, you will all attend a background investigations orientation.
Getting ready for the oral examination:
- Get a good night's sleep before the test.
- Have a light meal before the test.
- Business attire is suggested, but is not required.
Taking the oral examination:
- Be on time.
- When you enter the room, introduce yourself and shake hands with each interviewer.
- Sit up straight and make eye contact with the interviewers.
- Relax and breathe during the interview.
- Listen carefully to the questions before you answer.
- If you do not understand a question, say so.
- When you answer a question, be responsive, but not too hasty.
- When you finish your interview, thank the panel and leave the room.
- Be seated in the hall until instructed to leave.