SFPD Community Advisory for Events Scheduled for Saturday, August 26, 2017 (17-125)
On Saturday, August 26, 2017, several public events are scheduled to take place around the City of San Francisco. Two events may draw large crowds: a Patriot Prayer rally located on Crissy Field; and a unity rally at Civic Center. Other non-permitted First Amendment activities may take place that could cause traffic delays in the City.
The San Francisco Police Department is collaborating closely with our local, state and federal law enforcement partners to help facilitate First Amendment activity in a safe manner at each of these events. We are in contact with event organizers and are working with them to ensure a safe and peaceful day for everyone. The safety of the public is our top priority.
The Department has a comprehensive operational plan in place. While details of the plan are not for public release, those in attendance at these events can expect a large Police presence of both uniformed and undercover officers. All available officers will be working- days off have been cancelled and no discretionary time off is being allowed. The SFPD expects all who will be attending events on Saturday to act respectfully and responsibly. Anyone engaging in illegal behavior is subject to arrest and prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
The events at Crissy Field are on federal land. The Golden Gate National Recreation Area and the U.S. Park Police are the lead agencies responsible for providing the permits for these events. As a condition for permits being granted by federal authorities, several items have been prohibited from Crissy Field Saturday:
- Aerosols/pressurized canisters
- Animals other than working service animals
- Backpacks and bags exceeding the size restriction of 18” x 13” x 7”
- Barbecue grills, open flames, propane tanks and tiki torches
- Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems
- Gas masks
- Glass, thermal or metal containers
- Laser pointers
- Liquids (other than drinking water in factory sealed, clear plastic bottles)
- Mace/pepper spray
- Pop up tents, canopies and similar structures
- Selfie sticks
- Signs exceeding the size restriction of 24” x 36” x ¼” (signs will only be allowed if made of foam core, cardboard or paper)
- Supports for signs and placards including sticks of any material
- Sticks or bats of any nature composed of any material
- Toy or replica guns
- Wagons and carts than can be pulled
- Weapons of any kind
As with any large gathering, law enforcement is committed to preserving the peace and public safety. The prohibition of these items is designed to help ensure a safe experience for members of the public who chose to attend events at Crissy Field. Please visit the National Park Service website at www.nps.gov/goga for more information on these events and road and facility closures within the grounds of the Presidio on August 26.
The San Francisco Police Department will provide updates this weekend on First Amendment events via news releases and Twitter (@SFPD). We encourage the public to visit the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency website (www.sfmta.com) and Twitter account (@sfmta_muni) for updates on street closures and traffic delays throughout the weekend.