11/18/03 03-107

11/18/03 03-107




November 18, 2003   

Subject:      Seat Belt Enforcement During Thanksgiving Holiday Season

There will be special enforcement of seat belt safety laws during the Thanksgiving holiday period, November 17-30, to coincide with National Buckle Up America Mobilization and which is part of the California Seat Belt Compliance Campaign.  A grant from the Office of Traffic Safety, through the California Business, Transportation & Housing Agency, will fund officer overtime to enforce seat belt and child passenger laws.


Although the rate for seat belt use in California in 2003 is 91.2%, the remaining 8.8% of the population that does not buckle up represents more than 3 million people, equal to the populations of 21 states!


Last year in California, 1,268 unbelted vehicle occupants lost their lives in traffic collisions.  Of this number, approximately 571 of these lives (45%) could have been saved had these persons buckled up.


A month-long public information campaign will use the slogan, “Seat Belts.  Remember.  Or be Remembered.” 


For more information, please contact:


Captain Ed Springer

Traffic Division